Marriott says no new travel for employees, no change in travel policy
— Marriott Vacations has agreed to pay a $1 million penalty to the Department of Labor and Employment for refusing to honor a federal ban on employers using the names of employees who were not employed at the time of the travel ban.
The hotel chain said it has voluntarily complied with the order to comply with the Fair Labor Standards Act and is taking steps to mitigate the impact of the ban.
The Labor Department, which had ordered Marriott to pay the fine, said it would not seek any further enforcement action against the hotel chain.
A federal judge in Boston ordered Marriott, in April, to pay $6 million to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, after it failed to turn over information about its policy for enforcing the ban on discrimination in the travel industry.
Marriott had been the only hotel company to not respond to the orders from the Labor Department and HHS.
Marquests officials did not immediately respond to a request for comment from CBS News.
Marquises CEO, David Marcus, said in a statement Friday that the company “will not tolerate discrimination of any kind and will take every necessary step to remedy any unfair labor practices that have been discovered by the Department and we will continue to work closely with the Department to resolve the matter as quickly as possible.”